Meetings for 2015 will be in January, April, July and October. If anyone has a great topic and wants to schedule a meeting in between, feel free to send an email to the mailing list and I’m sure we can make it happen.
This is in response to the dwindling number of people who have been attending meetings over the past year and rather than try to get people out every month, I’ll try for once a quarter. If this doesn’t help, I’ll combine the BSD group with another group and see if we get a little more activity that way. Comments are welcome.
In general, attendance has been down for a number of groups, not just locally, so rather than let it die on the vine, I’d rather spread it out a bit and see if we can keep some life here. Who knows, maybe we will have a revitalization in the future. Moving it may also help and I am considering that as well. Perhaps people don’t want to meet in a pizza restaurant? Perhaps something of a more hands-on approach will work. Again, comments welcome.
It has been a little busy lately and I’ve been away for the past two meeting periods. I’m planning on being at the December meeting at our normal time.
- FreeBSD 10.1 is out. Anyone tried it yet?
- If anyone noticed, BSDCan will be in June in 2015
- New model RaspberryPi units have come out, the A+ is quite inexpensive and has a lot of GPIO pins (no network though, unless you want to use a USB network adapter)
- iX Systems (FreeNAS, PC-BSD) was at LISA’14, as well as the FreeBSD foundation.
Thursday is the second Thursday of the month, so that means it is monthly meeting night.
It has been a quiet summer, so not much to talk about so far.
- Upcoming installfest at Jack Purcell Center
- Group future activities, maybe a venue change?
While it may not be all that exciting, we are planning a BSD installfest sometime in the next month at the Jack Purcell Center. Should be an interesting evening, so watch for further details. I’ve been told it will be a Monday night.
Bring hardware to test, your favorite BSD version, something new or just come out to see what it is all about.