I’ve finally added the old material from the previous incarnation of the site. It’s one of those tasks you hate doing, as it’s fraught with opportunity for error and really messing up the site. I was looking at a post somewhere else on migrating a Drupal 6 site to WordPress 2 and thought there was a way to do the work, install a fairly old WordPress on a different machine, grab the old backup I made before the migration and upgrade that to Drupal 6 and follow the procedure and then upgrade the WordPress install. It worked, or at least as well as could be expected. I did lose the authors of a couple of posts, and I need to go back and see if they re-registered with the site so I can change them back. At present all old posts are authored by ocuug.
If anyone is interested in the process of doing something like this, the instructions I followed are at the Social CMS Buzz site.
Of course, now that I’ve done this site, I have a different site to address that has info from multiple CMS engines to import. At the very least, it will make an interesting discussion topic for a future meeting. I also noticed, far too late to stop the flood, that the automated announce a post on twitter was enabled when I imported the old data and as a result, a large series of tweets went out. Yet another item to add to the how to migrate items checklist. At least I don’t have that turned on yet at the other site.
Just a reminder that we will be having our monthly meeting on Thursday, February 9. This will be in our usual location. Check the Meeting Information link at the top for location details.
For those who may not have noticed, FreeBSD 9.0 is out. I should have posted that last month, but did not. For more details, visit http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/announce.html
We also have a twitter account, so I’ll be attempting to tweet on there as well. Hopefully the integration works and we have this post tweeted as well. If not, I need to spend more time looking at the plugin documentation.
It looks like the mailing list issue that was happening after the upstream provider migrated the site to a new server has been fixed. It was quite frustrating, as the message queue was not showing anything and the messages were vanishing into a black hole somewhere. All appears to be good now, as at least one person besides me received the test post.
The web service provider migrated this site (and a few others) to a new server. It did cause me a bit of alarm at first, as all the notifications were hiding in my SPAM folder and the sudden rash of certificate errors and new server names associated with them started hitting me all at once. I thought I had been hijacked.
As far as I can tell, only the mailing list is broken, and I hope that I’ll get a chance to get that corrected over the next few days.
Well, we had three people show up, so that makes it much more of a success than the October meeting.
One of the items discussed was the web site paper.li and the self-publishing it allows. I’ll be using it as part of the @ocbug twitter feed that I’m planning on starting as a regular part of this group. Hopefully I’ll be a little more regular with tweets than posts.
I also have not yet seen any posts to the mailing list get published, so here’s hoping that starts assisting the population of the site.
In other news, I have downloaded all of the old posts from the original ocuug site and will be adding them to this site as soon as I get a chance to make the database insertion script. I have done it before, so I know it works properly. In a previous post, I mentioned I’ll be tagging the posts as “OCUUG Archive”. The old site is no longer a CMS site, but rather a static site that has a couple of pages and references this site now. It’s almost a year since the change and I am finally getting around to the housekeeping that should have been done many months ago.